Have you ever wondered what joy, contentment and comfort wrapped up in a cozy blanket would taste like? Well, it would taste a lot like this Aztec hot chocolate. Made with real chocolate and authentic spices, this is sure to become a favourite this holiday season. Let’s get started.
Aztec Hot Chocolate – Recipe
- 3 cups milk
- 1 tsp. cinnamon and more to top
- ¼ tsp. ground dried red chilies
- ½ tsp. ground dried ginger
- 4 – 6 cubes of good quality chocolate (use milk chocolate for a sweet version, dark chocolate for an intense flavor or semisweet chocolate for a happy medium)*
- Handful of white chocolate curls (optional topping)
*The number of cubes of chocolate will depend on how large they are and how intense you want the flavour)
- Warm a deep, heavy bottom pan over medium-high heat and add milk, cinnamon, ground dried red chilies and ground dried ginger. Combine until spices are well incorporated into the milk and bring to a boil.
- Turn off the heat, move pan to cool surface and whisk in chocolate cubes until completely combined.
Divide between two glasses – or mugs – top with more cinnamon and white chocolate curls and serve immediately. Watch the happiness take over!