This dish is one of my favourites to order at Thai restaurants. It’s so flavourful and fragrant that you definitely end up enjoying it with all your senses. It’s got the right amount of spice, a little bit of zing, a dash of sweet and a whole lot of deliciousness! I’ve broken down the various steps involved in this dish into a picture tutorial to make following the recipe even easier. Let’s get started.
Thai Fried Rice – Recipe
For Stir Frying:
- 2 Tbsp. sesame chili oil, divided (substitute with canola oil)
- 4 green onions, sliced thin and white parts separated from the green parts
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 small red chilies, sliced thin (or to taste)
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, sliced thin with the grain
- 1 Tbsp. light soy sauce
- 10 large shrimp, tail on and cleaned
- ½ cups peas
- ½ cup carrots, chopped (you can also add other vegetables like green or red peppers, broccoli)
- 4 cups cooked white rice, a couple of days old and cold is best
- ½ Tbsp. mild curry powder (substitute 1 tsp. turmeric if you do not have)
- 3 eggs
- 2 Tbsp. light soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp. fish sauce
- 1 Tbsp. oyster sauce
- 1 Tbsp. lime juice
- 2 Tbsp. water
- 1/8 tsp. pepper
- ½ tsp. sugar
- Combine sauce ingredients, set aside.
- Place a large non-stick pan or wok over medium-high and add 1 Tbsp. sesame chili oil, add white parts of green onions, garlic and red chilies and stir fry, 1 minute.
- Add chicken and light soy sauce and stir fry until chicken is almost cooked through.
- Add shrimp and continue to stir fry until cooked through.
- Add vegetables and stir fry, 1 minute.
- Add the rest of the sesame chili oil to the rice and combine until rice grains are separated and coated in oil. Add this to the pan and stir through.
- Add sauce and curry powder and stir fry until rice is warmed through. Add a little bit of water if rice becomes too dry at this point.
- Remove shrimp to a separate bowl at this point as not to overcook them.
- Make a well in the centre, crack eggs in and scramble.
- When eggs are almost cooked through, combine with the rice and continue to stir fry, 2 minutes or until rice is lightly sautéed.
Dish out and serve topped with the shrimp and the green parts of the green onions. You can also serve more sliced small red chilies on the side for extra kick.