Making your own butter is quick and easy thanks to modern appliances. Using your stand mixer or blender, you can make your own homemade, creamy, smooth, perfectly spreadable, edible, cookable, bakable butter in 10 minutes. Let’s get started.
Homemade Butter in 10 Minutes – Recipe
- 2 cups cream, full fat (increase quantity for larger batch)
- Couple pinches of salt (optional)
- Method 1: Add cream to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment. Mix on low speed until cream thickens. Increase to medium speed until butter starts to separate from buttermilk. When you see first traces of buttermilk appear, cover the mixer with a clean towel to catch splattered buttermilk or else it will be everywhere. The whole process should take about five minutes.
- Method 2: Add cream to the container of a blender and blend on medium speed until butter starts to separate from the buttermilk.
- Place a clean bowl underneath a strainer and pour butter and buttermilk in. Buttermilk will strain into the bowl and your butter will remain on the strainer.
- Take the strainer and run it and the butter through cold water in the sink. Use a wooden spoon to slightly knead the butter until all traces of buttermilk are gone and water runs clear. This is important as your butter will not keep for more than a few days if all buttermilk is not removed.
Place in a clean butter dish, add salt (if using) and mix until well combined. Chill in the fridge and enjoy with warm bread or use for any other purpose you would use store-bought butter! You can use the buttercream for pancakes or even drink it with a little bit of salt or replace it for milk in mango lassi.