Sheek kabobs are made with different types of meats such as lamb, beef and in this case chicken. The flavour for this Pakistani dish comes from the fried onions, cheese, coriander and ground spices that are mixed with the ground chicken. Once baked, it’s so juicy that it almost melts in your mouth! This recipe is a great make-ahead option for company as the flavour of will intensify the longer the chicken is left to marinate. Let’s get started.
Chicken Seekh Kabob – Recipe
- 500 grams chicken, ground
- 1 onion, sliced and fried until golden brown
- 8 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1” piece ginger, chopped
- 2 – 4 green chilies, chopped (adjust to taste)
- ½ lime, juiced (extra for serving)
- ½ tsp. ground dried red chilies
- ½ tsp. ground coriander
- ½ tsp. garam masala
- 1 Tbsp. oil
- ½ cup cheese, grated (use any cheese you prefer)
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 Tbsp. coriander, chopped
- 8 skewers (soaked in water overnight if they’re wooden skewers)
- Baking tray lined with aluminum foil
- In a food processor, add fried onions, garlic, ginger, green chilies and lime juice and blend until smooth.
- Remove to a large bowl and add ground chicken and mix until well combined. Add ground dried red chilies, ground coriander and garam masala and mix well.
- Add grated cheese, breadcrumbs and coriander and mix until well incorporated. Cover and refrigerate for 1 -2 hours to allow the flavours to intermingle.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, brush oil over baking dish. Take chicken mixture out and add oil and mix well.
- Divide mixture into 8 equal portions, take one portion in one hand and place a skewer on top and mould chicken mixture around skewer in a narrow, cylindrical shape.
- Place on baking dish. Repeat step 5 until all the chicken mixture is used up and you have 8 kabobs lined up on the baking dish.
- Bake for 20 minutes, turning over halfway through the process. Turn off oven and remove to plate.
The mild spices and the fresh herbs make this an ideal appetizer served with spicy mayo dip for a Pakistani or Indian meal. It can be served with cooked rice or flat breads and lime wedges and a simple salad for a complete meal. For cocktail parties, cut into two inch pieces and serve on small skewers with lime wedges on the side.