The first thing you’ll notice about royal falooda is how amazing this drink smells! It’s such a flavourful, seductive scent that you won’t be able to resist at first whiff. The beautiful colour and the taste combined with the scent the rose syrup lends is sure to entice all the senses. Try making this for Valentines Day. Falooda has its origins in ancient Persia, but has quickly become popular throughout South and South East Asia and the Middle East. As some of these ingredients traditionally called for are difficult to find (such as basil seeds) in Western supermarkets, I’m going to show you how to make this version without them. Let’s get started.
Royal Falooda – Recipe
- 3 cups milk
- 2 – 4 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 pinch cardamom powder
- 2 Tbsp. vanilla ice cream or kulfi
- 1/2 cup falooda sev or vermicelli, soaked in hot water for 20 minutes and drained
- 4 – 8 Tbsp. rose syrup or roohafza, divided
- 2 scoops kulfi ice cream (Or regular vanilla ice cream if you have that on hand)
- Strawberry or other pink jelly, cut into small cubes (optional)
- 2 cherries, for garnish (optional)
- Heat milk in a large pan over medium-high heat.
- Add sugar, cardamom powder and bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Add 2 Tbsp. of vanilla ice cream or kulfi, stir in and melt. Cool and refrigerate until ready to make falooda.
- To assemble falooda, take two glasses and divide rose syrup or roohafza equally between them, followed by equal amounts of falooda sev or vermicelli.
- Pour equal amounts of prepared milk mixture carefully into each glass until nearly full, do not mix.
- Add a scoop of kulfi ice cream on top so that it floats on top of the falooda, peeking a little above the glass and garnish with a cherry or strawberry jelly if using.
Serve with large straws and spoons. If you like falooda, also try Falooda Cupcakes. Kids and adults alike will enjoy royal falooda and is especially great as a Valentines Day treat or in smaller portions for a little girl`s birthday party because of the lovely colour. The falooda sev or vermicelli will give this float amazing texture and the kulfi or vanilla ice cream rounds out the smooth taste of the falooda perfectly. It’s such a fragrant and delicious float and the colour is so cheerful and romantic that you won’t be able to get enough.